Reporting to the Director of Operations, the IT Manager will be responsible for supporting and managing the IT network, systems, and computer support for BEAM's academic, research and administrative computing efforts. The IT Manager will serve as the systems administrator for the Department maintaining and managing BEAM's computer networks, servers, security protocols and infrastructure. The IT manager will also design, test, deploy and manage complex information systems to include management of hardware and software acquisitions, maintenance and inventory management, data management and security. The IT Manager will be comfortable operating in server and desktop Windows, Mac, and Cloud based environments and will also provide general support to BEAM faculty and staff for their individual desktop computing needs. The IT Manager will provide friendly, timely, and exceptional customer service, assist with Departmental AV needs, and ensure adherence to University mandates, policies, and requirements.
A telework agreement may be authorized after an initial training period and upon agreement with supervisor and/or Department Head.
- A bachelor's degree in computer information technology, computer science, computer
support and maintenance of client and server computer systems in a networked environment.
- Strong knowledge of Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office.
- Previous work experience providing systems and desktop support.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and take initiative
- Experience with computer hardware troubleshooting and repair.
- Experience with network installation/configuration (TCP/IP, firewalls, VLAN, Switches).
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with faculty and staff in a courteous, constructive, and respectful manner.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong knowledge of Mac operating systems and products
- Previous experience in a customer service environment
- Previous experience with mobile device management - BigFix, JAMF, Intune
- Previous experience with centralized antivirus. management - Avast for business, MS advanced endpoint protection
- Previous experience with Log management - Splunk
- Previous experience providing AV room support
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Karen Underwood at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.