Director of Networks, IT Support Services, Technology Contingency & Disaster Recovery Planning
Kalamazoo Valley Community College is a comprehensive, fully accredited, public, two-year college in Kalamazoo, MI. We offer associate degrees in more than 60 areas of study and 50 certificate programs. Kalamazoo Valley Community College creates innovative and equitable opportunities that empower all to learn, grow and thrive.
About the OpportunityThe Director of Networks, IT Support Services, Technology Contingency and Disaster Recovery Planning, will support the instructional mission of the institution, promote positive student and customer relations, and provide leadership for network and IT support services.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
Develop strategies to leverage current and emerging technologies:
- Develop and implement a plan to keep IT staff apprised of innovations in technology equipment, software, and practices.
- Ensure continuous improvement of the availability, capability, efficiency, and security of systems impacting institutional operations; including introducing technology solutions and collaborating with College divisions to train staff on the appropriate use of those solutions.
- Lead the planning and design of Kalamazoo Valley’s voice, video and data networks for use now and in the future; including network security devices, network cabling, servers, firewalls, phone systems, wireless access, PC’s, printers, security cameras, user applications, mobile computing and physical security.
Maintain the integrity of the network, server deployment and security:
- Work collaboratively with IT staff and external vendors to ensure that all institutional information is protected.
- Lead network and IT support staff in conducting routine impact analysis and develop solutions for potential issues.
- Manage multiple projects for instructional and administrative IT projects; assign staff to projects and ensure appropriate training is provided to staff implementing new technology. Ensure work completed complies with project plans and expected deadlines.
- Maintain and update a systems priority list to ensure the appropriate response and recovery of high priority systems.
- Establish and maintain relationships with external support services and partners to ensure continuation of institutional operations.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to ensure that Kalamazoo Valley meets State and Federal data security requirements.
Work with budget administrator, instructional departments, and finance staff to analyze and budget for technology needs:
- Perform ongoing technology needs analysis throughout each division of Kalamazoo Valley. Participate in the planning and support of instructional classrooms, labs, public access computers, network infrastructure, and applications for instructional and administrative functions.
- Work with Business Office staff on bids for IT purchases.
- Maintain software and hardware contracts with appropriate support vendors.
- Coordinate the receiving and distribution of all IT equipment.
Competencies and Personal Attributes
- Ability to work directly with Kalamazoo Valley faculty, staff and other constituents to gather requirements, solve problems, and document business processes.
- Ability to plan professional development opportunities for continuous professional growth of IT staff.
- Budgeting principles and practices.
- Acceptable supervisory practices.
- All network devices.
- Institutional policies and procedures.
- Managing and directing the work of technical staff..
- Oral and written communications.
- Providing a high-level of customer service.
- Researching IT trends and future technology.
- Managing multiple priorities.
- Problem solving with the ability to analyze and implement appropriate resolutions.
A combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities. An example of this would be a bachelor’s degree and four years of related work experience. Prior supervisory experience required.