Strategic Communications Specialist, UMKC Strategic Marketing and Communications, 86829
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI - KANSAS CITY
STRATEGIC MARKETING AND COMMUNICATION
UMKC is looking for a dynamic, creative, collaborative public relations specialist with broad experience in digital content strategy and creation to join our strategic communications team. This person's duties will include writing content to tell the UMKC story through a variety of earned and owned media for internal and external audiences; and creating content for the university's website, digital newsletters and social media channels. Strong organizational skills and experience in meeting deadlines are musts. The position reports to the Director of Strategic Communications within the Division of Strategic Marketing and Communications.
The job also requires someone who can:
* Demonstrate ability to develop content ideas in multiple formats and quickly execute high-quality content in those areas.
* Juggle a variety of projects, demonstrating ability to move quickly on short-term needs while making progress on longer-term goals.
* Demonstrate superb news judgment and writing skills.
* Increase public visibility by developing and facilitating relationships with key campus and public constituents, including but not limited to academic units, campus leadership and local, regional, state and national media.
* Other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience and at least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
* A Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism or Communications or equivalent direct experience required.
* Three to five years minimum experience in journalism and/or public relations and digital communications.
* Strong news judgment.
* Sound knowledge of editorial and journalistic principles and respect for deadlines.
* Experience in digital content strategy.
* Excellent storytelling skills.
* Availability to respond to occasional after-hours situations on short notice.
* Technical knowledge of major social media platforms.
* Familiarity with using Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and LinkedIn in a professional setting.
* Superior interpersonal, written and oral communications skills.
* Ability to develop effective working relationships with administration, faculty, staff, students, alumni, benefactors, media and other key constituents.
* Ability to exercise reasonable judgment, often under intense deadline pressure.
* Strong organizational skills.
* Proven track record of producing high-quality digital media content.
* Creative problem-solving ability.
* Ability to proactively identify communications opportunities and develop supporting content.
Anticipated salary $50,367 - $52,000 per year commensurate on education, experience, and internal equity.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We value the uniqueness of every individual and strive to ensure each person's success. Contributions from individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives promote intellectual pluralism and enable us to achieve the excellence that we seek in learning, research and engagement. This commitment makes our university a better place to work, learn and innovate.
In your application materials, please discuss your experiences and expertise that support these values and enrich our missions of teaching, research and engagement.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Office of Equity & Title IX at 816-235-6910.
Know Your Rights
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
We offer full benefits that start day one, generous paid time off, paid winter break, and continuing education benefits. Visit our Total Rewards page to learn more.
Also, explore the Total Rewards website to learn more about the rewards package we offer to acknowledge our employees as the university's most important resource.