Senior Student Support Specialist, UMKC Institute for Urban Education, School of Education, Social Work and Psychological Sciences, 81298
Institute for Urban Education (School of Education, Social Work, and Psychological Sciences- general)
The vision and mission of the School of Education, Social Work and Psychological Sciences rests on over 65 years of partnerships with the greater Kansas City metropolitan area. These relationships have engaged school districts, charter schools, hospitals, mental health agencies, educational organizations, social service organizations, and related civic, cultural and business organizations.
The mission of the Institute for Urban Education (IUE) is to recruit, prepare and support exemplary teachers for richly diverse schools in Kansas City.
The Senior Student Support Specialist will provide services to current and prospective students within the Institute for Urban Education including undergraduate and graduate recruitment activities and efforts, reviewing, analyzing, and processing data to determine students' program options, admissibility, eligibility for degrees, scholarships and/or specialized designations. The individual will provide mentoring and counseling for students transferring into the IUE as undergraduate students as well as students entering or planning to enter the Master of Arts in Teaching program. Support for the latter will include mentoring and counseling in areas of transitions from career to college, undergraduate to graduate programs and job placement.
- Manage the daily operation of the recruitment component for transfer students and graduate students for the Institute for urban education, including responding to front-facing communications such as phone calls, emails and voicemails
- Plan and coordinate communication efforts with prospective students, including communication through mail, email, phone, social media and face-to-face contact.
- Respond to prospective transfer and graduate student inquiries about the Institute for Urban Education.
- Travel to assigned recruitment events for the IUE, including community college campuses and UMKC classes.
- Research and analyze other teacher education recruitment plans and develop strategic plans for IUE recruitment.
- Manage the IUE transfer and graduate recruitment database, this includes tracking metrics and prepare reports for the IUE Director, Associate Director, external partners and funders.
- Present data and reports to external partners and funders.
- Develop and distribute electronic communication and marketing materials
- Interface with IUE staff and faculty, School of Education staff and UMKC staff concerning student support and recruitment.
- Maintain weekly contact with all IUE MAT students and provide mentoring and support for middle and secondary certification seekers and transition into the graduate programs.
- Serve as primary contact for all undergraduate students seeking middle and high school teaching certification.
- Plan and facilitate monthly student retention events (for IUE MAT students).
- Maintain confidential student files.
- Provide support and mentoring for current IUE students.
- Manage databases, assist with reports, presentations and data management, this includes researching information, collecting data and preparing reports
- Serve as IUE liaison to School of Education Admissions and Student Services
- Coordinate special projects and events (on and off campus)
- Serve as representative of IUE and School of Education with select community partners
- Manage communication with internal constituents, external constituents and school district
- Adhere to and assist with university policies and procedures as applicable to IUE faculty/staff and overall job duties
- Communicate with personnel in various departments outside of own team, including academic units and administrative levels within the University system
- Other duties as assigned
- A Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience and at least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary
- Demonstrated experience working with complex issues, problem-solving and creative thinking
- Experience managing small projects and initiatives
- Master's degree preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Publisher.
- Proficiency in internet research, Library Database Research, Pathway, Canvas, Social Media, Peoplesoft, Adobe Acrobat & Reader, WebNow, ReadIris, ImageNow, Intelliworks, and UMKC Web Apps.
- Proficiency in website maintenance, social media and marketing
- Experience working in PK-12 education, higher education and/or non-profit organizations
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Commitment to diversity, equity and social justice
$20.66- $25.96/hr commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity.
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of five references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (800) 488-5288.
Note, you must provide a description of job duties for each Work Experience entry on your application. Please carefully review the application instructions section of our Careers page prior to submitting your materials.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We value the uniqueness of every individual and strive to ensure each person's success. Contributions from individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives promote intellectual pluralism and enable us to achieve the excellence that we seek in learning, research and engagement. This commitment makes our university a better place to work, learn and innovate.
In your application materials, please discuss your experiences and expertise that support these values and enrich our missions of teaching, research and engagement.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Office of Equity & Title IX at 816-235-6910.
Know Your Rights
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
We offer full benefits that start day one, generous paid time off, paid winter break, and continuing education benefits. Visit our Total Rewards page to learn more.
Also, explore the Total Rewards website to learn more about the rewards package we offer to acknowledge our employees as the university's most important resource.