Senior Payroll Analyst
# of Openings: 1
Position Type: Staff
Type: Regular Full-Time
New York Institute of Technology's six schools and colleges offer undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs in in-demand disciplines including computer science, data science, and cybersecurity; biology, health professions, and medicine; architecture and design; engineering; IT and digital technologies; management; and energy and sustainability. A nonprofit, independent, private, and nonsectarian institute of higher education founded in 1955, it welcomes nearly 8,000 students worldwide.
The university has campuses in New York City and Long Island, New York; Jonesboro, Arkansas; and Vancouver, British Columbia, as well as programs around the world. More than 112,000 alumni are part of an engaged network of physicians, architects, scientists, engineers, business leaders, digital artists, and healthcare professionals. Together, the university's community of doers, makers, healers, and innovators empowers graduates to change the world, solve 21st-century challenges, and reinvent the future.
For more information, visit nyit.edu.
New York Institute of Technology is seeking an experienced Senior Payroll Analyst to join an exciting HCM/Finance Transformation project team. The Senior Payroll Analyst is a hands-on role that will support the efforts of the payroll and finance teams by identifying and analyzing business requirements, and designing and implementing future state process designs in support of the New York Tech HCM/Finance Transformation project. The role requires an exceptional understanding of payroll processes and customer service skills balanced with complex policies, collective bargaining agreements, and procedures to respond to multiple levels of inquiries. This position will work independently as well as collaboratively with internal team members, employees, and departments; and partner with stakeholders to identify and improve cross-functional processes, enhance communication and develop/deliver training and presentations. Reporting structure of position may change as project staff are added.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of payroll and other finance functions, including but not limited to payroll processing, payroll and fringe benefit accounting, payroll taxation reporting, chart of accounts, general ledger operations, and period close activities.
- Acquire a comprehensive understanding of current state payroll processing and non-profit/higher ed finance operations procedures, and meticulously document the processes, weaknesses, strengths and mitigation strategies.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for inquiries related to payroll system capabilities.
- Gather business requirements for the future state, develop well-documented functional designs and specifications, and translate them into actionable configuration specifications for the implementation of the new financial system.
- Identify opportunities to simplify and merge multiple payroll cycles and populations (e.g., weekly, bi-weekly, student, adjunct) payrolls into fewer cycles and consistent and streamlined practices.
- Foster collaboration with cross-functional teams to design, develop, implement, and promote end-to-end process improvements aligned with strategic initiatives, leveraging best practices.
- Identify business process and configuration interdependencies across the organization.
- Design and implement internal processes and audit automation to ensure data integrity and accuracy within the new system.
- Assist the project team in the design and development of prototypes in the new system.
- Assist process owners in familiarizing themselves with terminology, capabilities, and structure of a new system.
- Collaborate with process owners and the technical team to identify system integration requirements, including mapping data from legacy applications to the new system.
- Support process owners in conducting post-load data validation for conversions, guaranteeing the accuracy of data in the transformed environment.
- Establish and maintain payroll quality control standards.
- Develop and execute test scenarios, meticulously documenting results according to project procedures.
- Provide change management and training teams with information and content about future state processes and procedures.
- Develop and monitor milestone plans for managing the team goals related to payroll; generate weekly status reports that highlight project progress.
- Identify and communicate potential risks to project leadership.
- Facilitate the smooth transition and successful adoption of new capabilities by overseeing the transfer of knowledge regarding new system configuration and operations to the process owner team(s).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in a business or information technology discipline and 5 to 7 years of experience in payroll processing and non-profit financial operations. Advanced degree in business, analysis or technology preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully converting and implementing Oracle Fusion Cloud or Workday Financials payroll function specifically in a higher education environment.
- Expertise in business process design techniques and development methodologies.
- Outstanding problem-solving and analytical abilities.
- Exceptional verbal communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Ability to work in a matrix organization structure, effectively managing commitments to process owners and the project team.
- Ability to foster collaboration across multiple project teams and stakeholders, ensuring alignment with operational transformation objectives.
- Strong organizational and communication skills to effectively manage concurrent projects and multidisciplinary teams with minimal supervision.
- Proven capability to handle multiple and concurrent priorities, with a demonstrated sense of accountability for meeting project timelines and deliverables.
- Ability to establish collaborative working relationships within Payroll, Finance, IT, and HR and across all levels of the University, with a focus on the big picture while engaged at the micro-level project tasks.
- Proven technical competency using desktop productivity tools, including Microsoft Office, Teams and Visio. Exceptional Excel skills are essential.
- Must possess a high degree of proficiency and integrity relative to information security, as well as broad knowledge of applicable data security/privacy practices and laws.
- Team player with excellent consulting skills and a fun but professional presence required.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with staff, faculty & students from a variety of diverse backgrounds in support of a welcoming and inclusive environment.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays on an as-needed basis is required.
This is an anticipated three-year project-based position. It is based at NYIT's Old Westbury office with hybrid flexibility. General minimum in-person attendance of 2X per week with remote access in line with NYIT's remote work policies. Some local and minimal travel required.
New York Institute of Technology offers numerous opportunities to enhance personal and professional growth and provides employees with a competitive compensation and benefits program inclusive of generous paid time off, holidays, tuition remission, and retirement plans with employer contributions.
New York Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer - All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
In compliance with local legislation as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, the annual base salary range for this position is listed. New York Tech considers factors such as (but not limited to) scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate experience/expertise, education/training, key skills, geographic location, internal peer equity as well as market, organizational considerations and/or applicable collective bargaining agreement when extending an offer.